15 June, 2010

INTEGRITY/n (1): adherence to a code of values : INCORRUPTIBILITY (2): SOUNDNESS (3): COMPLETENESS

INTEGRITY. I could drone the definition in my sleep at a very early age, not because I was a 10 year old who embodied it, not even because I lived my life by the "code", but because I was raised in a family of successful business owners who ran not only their lives but their businesses with a strong sense of it. I was raised in a home with consequences for every action. I was held accountable for not only what I did, but what I spoke, because words are truly the most powerful tool/weapon we possess. I thank the powers-that-be for the parents, grandparents, family and friends who raised me and showed me everyday what it meant to be a person of quality and integrity. Values that are very difficult to find in a world/economy/familial system seemingly void of it.

Fast-Forward to present day ... today in fact, and you will find a very different version of the little girl with big dreams and an idealistic view of her world and the people who inhabit it. I guess you could say that today, my "3rd" eye was opened, or rather pried opened (think Malcolm McDowell's character, Alex, in "A Clockwork Orange"), while going about my normal morning work routine. It occurred to me, as I read over an email so perfectly written in it's attempt to blow me off, that I actually had to step back from the screen, chuckle and then sound off in disbelief over what I was reading. The question I am left with, the one that threatens to break down what little hope I have left for TODAY's business owners, "When did we stop being human?" When did it become OK to blow people off, shoot people/their goals out of the sky and make every attempt to cut with our words? To someone like myself, who has more integrity in her pinkie than most people have in their entire being, it truly cuts like a knife.

I don't wear my resume on my back (thanks Neil), and I don't treat people as if they aren't fit to breathe the same air I do ... I go out of my way to treat everyone as politely and kindly as I can. I am not perfect, and there are times I want to crawl back into my shell, but if I am not interested in what a person is "selling" to me, I thank them for their time and respectfully decline. Everybody's time is valuable to them in regards to what they are looking to accomplish, so I respect that by not wasting it.

As the proud co-owner of two:peas jewelry these past three years, I have truly received a "Masters in Business". I have met some of the most undesirable people in the world, and yet I have met some of the best people. People who actually have taken the time to either mentor me, talk to me, and/or teach me what not to do, based on their ups and downs in the business. It's those people, who invested time in me, and valued me enough to listen to what I had to say, that keep me going on days like today. Those of you who are reading this, we can all relate whether you are a business owner or not. Why? Because we are all a participant in LIFE (albeit, some of us more active participants than others) but participants nonetheless. I invite you all to exhibit a little kindness today: (1)Ask someone how they are doing, (2)Offer to listen to someone, (3)Return emails/phone calls in a timely manner and above all, (4)Live your life with INTEGRITY.

1 comment:

  1. Well Done! You really did listen ...what a fabulous woman you have become & if you were not my daughter, I would want to know you as a woman of worth. My Father taught us that your reputation & word are your bond...they are golden...you only get one shot at making an impression...you my dear always make people feel good...never change...you are truly a success in every sense of the word. Blessings & Joy...Mom

    ReplyDelete